Razor Surgeonfish (Prionurus laticlavius)
1136 Litres (300 US G.)
53.3-58.4cm (21-23 ")
8.1 - 8.4
18.3-25.6°C (65 -78 °F)
- Razor Sawtail, Yellowtail Surgeonfish
Origin[edit | edit source]
- From south-west Gulf of California to Ecuador, including the Galapagos Islands
Sexing[edit | edit source]
No sexual dimorphism; examine underside
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Peaceful, although aggressive to similar species if space is limited. If threatened, they may attack you with the "saw" on their caudal peduncle, so be careful not to spook them.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- An herbivore that eats both macroalgae and microalgae, but may also be supplemented with meaty foods.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Daily, at least 2 times.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- A slightly cooler water species that enjoys plenty of rock for grazing.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Usually peaceful, but will fight with similar fish in limited space. It may be observed "slapping" other fish with its peduncle spine to settle territorial disputes.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Grey body with 3 spots on caudal peduncle; not as spotted as its relative, the Yellowtail Surgeonfish.