Pyjama Cardinalfish (Sphaeramia nematoptera)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Pyjama Cardinalfish)
76 Litres (20 US G.)
6.4-7.6cm (2.5-3 ")
8.1 - 8.4
22.2-25.6°C (72 -78 °F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Pyjama Cardinalfish, Spotted Cardinalfish, Polka-Dot Cardinalfish
Additional scientific names
- Apogon nematopterus
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males will have longer fins and a slightly more angular head.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Do not keep with other Cardinalfish, can be kept in groups of Pyjama Cardinalfish to avoid aggression. Should be peaceful towards other fish. Do not keep with territorial or aggressive fish or inverts.
Diet[edit | edit source]
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Needs an SG of 1.020-1.025. Hiding places are essential as well as open swimming spaces. Some Pyjama Cardinalfish will tend to hide in sea grass or other plants. Some may also camouflage themselves against Diadema setosum.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A fairly peaceful fish, not overly active.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Similar to the Bangai Cardinalfish in shape, this fish has a silver base colour, with a yellow face, dorsal, pelvic and pectoral fins, there's a thick black stripe running vertically down the centre of their flanks and into the base of the dorsal fin. On the hind part of this stripe the fish is spotted with orange, and they have rich red/orange eyes.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )