Talk:DIY power backup system

From The Aquarium Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

GFCI? --Quatermass 03:58, 9 May 2011 (CDT)

Ground fault circuit interrupter, the test and reset button on every power outlet in a bathroom or near water (over here at least). It will trip on a short circuit locally and more quickly then your house breakers will. --Brian 10:07, 9 May 2011 (CDT)
More specifically it will trip if current is going to ground (real) and not back along the circuit. --Brian 10:09, 9 May 2011 (CDT)

Ahh, we call these residual-current device (RCD) in the UK/EU. It detects if current starts to flow to ground and cuts off. We should explain acronyms in articles were ever possible if there isn't a link to it on the site. Can't say I like using these in aquariums as they cut off and you're none the wiser!
What we do need in this aquarium hobby is a cheap device that monitors a Mains piece of equipment and audio alerts you if the Mains current suddenly drops in the case of a fuse or power blackout. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out this sort of device me thinks.

This guy's site has his gizmo making a text message! It's simply another mains relay which is always on and when the fuse blows, etc. the relay drops and connects two wires together to sound a bell, etc. Dead easy to make. --Quatermass 15:54, 10 May 2011 (CDT)