Hey so this is my favorite test page. I finally implemented SMW Forms so check out: http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Special:FormEdit/Create_new_fish_page/Danio_rerio What do we think of implementing this for editing all of our pages? If would be integrated with the create and new page link. It would also add an "edit by form" tag to the top of the pages. --Brian 13:39, 24 July 2011 (CDT)
But needs more work if we want it to be really easy for people to use it. How about field 'Availability' having a drop down menu which the user selects one? Same with 'Habitat'.
Fields like 'Full size' should have a inches/centimetre drop down menu.
What would be cute is a script that searches in the text fields for names in the glossary and converts them to [[ ]]?
How are these pages made? can I take a look? :)
--Quatermass 17:00, 24 July 2011 (CDT)
- Great place to experiment, they are tough as nails... Huw Powell 20:40, 24 July 2011 (CDT)
- They are near impossible to kill. --Brian 06:11, 25 July 2011 (CDT)
- So you can read up, here is the extension page: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Forms, you can edit this form at http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Create_new_fish_page
- Initially I did have drop downs, the problem is the shorthand we use such as g/l to represent volume. Since that is internally translated to Gallons/Liters that is all the code knows and the shorthand would disappear. As it is, the check-boxes do not convert properly. This looks for Yes/No for True/Fals, but we have been using 1/0. I think the best thing for now is what I just changed it to. Currently it has an auto-complete to guide people to re-use, but allows custom inputs as well.
- The habitat currently isn't working because of some internals. I will take care of that today hopefully.
- And yes it needs to look better, I will find a form style that looks good and try to implement that. --Brian 06:11, 25 July 2011 (CDT)