Harlequin Rasbora (Trigonostigma heteromorpha)
57 Litres (15 US G.)
2.5-3.8cm (1-1.5 ")
6.5 - 7.2
22.8-25.6°C (73 -78 °F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Harlequin Rasbora, Red Rasbora
Additional scientific names
- Rasbora heteromorpha
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Harlequins are from Asia, found from Thailand (Narathiwat southwards) to Sumatra, Indonesia.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males are more brightly coloured and have a more acute angle on its wedge of colour on its flanks. Females have rounder bodies.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful shoaling fish that should be kept in groups of 6 or more. They should not be kept with large or predatory fish like the Angelfish as they may get eaten.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- They will accept most prepared foods including flake and pellets. Occasional live foods such as brine shrimp or Daphnia will ensure the best health.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Harlequin Rasboras should be fed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- The Harlequin Rasbora does best with large open swimming space, as well as some planting. A mature tank with good filtration but not too strong a current is preferred. They prefer slightly acidic to neutral water from a pH of 6.5 to 7.0.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- They are a peaceful mid-swimming shoaling fish. Since they are always on the move, it tends to stress other fish who prefer calmer conditions.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Trigonostigma heteromorpha is sometimes confused with Trigonostigma espei and Trigonostigma hengeli. The difference is that Harlequin Rasboras has a distinctive black "wedge" shape on its flanks with red/orange around the head and in the fins while the latter two are more slender in body shape than T. heteromorpha, and the black markings, instead of being approximately triangular, has a shape that approximates to that of a Stillson wrench. Sometimes a gold form of T. heteromorpha is seen on the market.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
|Harlequin Rasbora in community tank:||Spawning:|
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )