Honey Gourami (Colisa chuna)
38 Litres (10 US G.)
5-7 cm (2-2.8")
6.5 - 7.5
22.2-25.6°C (72 -78 °F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Honey Gourami, Honeycomb Gourami
Additional scientific names
- Trichogaster chuna, Colisa sota, Trichopodus chuna, Trichopodus sota
Origin[edit | edit source]
- This fish is found in the rivers and lakes of India and Bangladesh.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males are more vibrantly coloured than females.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful Gourami, best kept with two females minimum to one male. Can mix with other dwarf Gouramis but not recommended. Do not keep with aggressive fin nippers.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will accept most foods including pellet and flake as well as live/frozen food such as daphnia and brine shrimp.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Prefer a spacious tank with not too much current. Can be shy so need places to hide. Gouramis have labyrinth organs for breathing air from the surface, which means they need a tank with at least some space of air at the top. They usually inhabit the upper levels of the aquarium, although they frequently search the bottom of the tank looking for food pieces.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful Gourami that can be kept in a community tank with other peaceful similar sized tank mates.
- Males will become aggressive toward other males when females are present. These fish will go to the surface to gulp air periodically. They have a labyrinth organ and need to remove oxygen from the air to breath. Without access to fresh air, they will drown.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A pretty and small Gourami, a similar shape to the common Dwarf Gourami, with long ventral 'feelers'. The colours vary on this fish, the male wild type will be a ochre in colour with vibrancy depending on whether it's spawning or not, when in spawning condition it will have a dark band from it's cheeks and chin to the base of its anal fin. Females are very pale in colour. There is a more orange variant found in the pet trade.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
|In a pet store tank:||Spawning activity:|
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )