Boesemani Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani)
189 Litres (50 US G.)
10.2-12.7cm (4-5 ")
6.5 - 7.5
27 -30 °C (80.6-86°F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Boesemani Rainbow fish, Boeseman's Rainbowfish, Bicolor Rainbowfish
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Inhabits lakes which are situated at the headwaters of the Ajamaru River in Irian Jaya which drains into the Kais River eventually flowing to the Ceram Sea in Asia.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Females are slimmer than males with less vivid colouration.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful community mid-swimming fish, will live with other similar sized peaceful fish. Keep in groups of 6 or more, more females than males. May well pose a threat to smaller invertebrates including snails.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will accept most foods including pellet and flake food as long as the morsels are small. They will accept blanched vegetables and live/frozen food as well such as brine shrimp.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- They need plenty of open swimming space as they are quite active swimmers. A mature tank with tall plants and open swimming space in the centre without very bright lighting is ideal.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- An active peaceful shoaling fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A slender high-backed fish with a pointed snout. They are attractively coloured, especially the males, their front half is blue and their back half is orange.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )