Penguin Tetra (Thayeria boehlkei)
From The Aquarium Wiki
57 Litres (15 US G.)
5.1-7.6cm (2-3 ")
6.0 - 8.0
23 -27 °C (73.4-80.6°F)
- Penguin Tetra, Penguin Fish, Hockey Stick Tetra, Blackline Penguinfish
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Females are larger and have thicker bodies than males when mature.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A shoaling fish that must be kept in groups of 6 or more. Do not keep with predatory fish. Can be kept with similar sized shoaling fish, can also be nippy and shouldn't be kept with slower long finned fish.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will take most foods including pellets and flakes as well as live/frozen food such as brine shrimp and daphnia.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- They need a spacious tank with lots of open swimming space. Some hiding places in tall plants is appreciated. They are sensitive to high nitrate levels.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- They have been seen to bond with the Black Neon Tetras, shoaling together. They swim with occasional hopping motion, with the tail down a few degrees. The lower rear fin colouring intensifying this behaviour.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- This fish has a grey/silver elongated body with a thick black horizontal stripe, which extends from the head to the tip of the bottom half of the tail, in a 'hockey stick' design.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )